Monday, September 22, 2008

Been too long


Hi All, The Freakin' Deacon back with you after an extended unplanned hiatus. Ever since school has started it has become harder and harder to find time to blog it out (not to mention work), but I have some ideas in my head, and will hopefully go three-for-three in the next couple of days.

Back at it...

I'd like to start today's Sermon by pointing out what a Creationist is. According to Answers.com (yeah like I'm going to Merriam Webster's for this one, HA!), it is one with "Belief in the literal interpretation of the account of the creation of the universe and of all living things related in the Bible." I'm sure we could come up with some other definitions, but this is my blog not yours. So with that definition we can separate Creationists from many, many Abrahamic Christian Sects. Even the Catholic Church, who is often the last one to the party, recognizes evolution as the way we humans got here.
Creationism is the belief that God created the world in six days as described in the Bible. The Catholic Church does not read the Genesis account of creation literally, saying it is an allegory for the way God created the world.

So with that we can clearly see that the antithesis of Creationism is not evolution, the antithesis of creationism is abiogenesis. The idea that conditions were right on Earth at one time to harbinger very basic cellular life.

I hate to sound like Bill O'Reilly, but there truly is an attack on reason. And I'm sorry to be the one to say it, but if you don't want your kid being taught about evolution, home school them or send them to private school. Just don't send them to a school that teaches science with the expectation that you will change the curriculum to suit your world view. Science, fact, and empiricism don't work that way. Your world view (as well as your child's)will be accepted and respected, but just as there is a place for religion, faith, and prayer -- the school is the place for fact, reason, and intelligence. Dozen's (or more) of major, established religions have accepted evolution as fact. This is because it is the theory that logic clearly supports. The theory of evolution does not mean there is no God, this is something I have been saying since I started blogging. I understand you have faith, but if your faith means evolution didn't happen, then your faith doesn't stand up to everyone else's logic.

1 comment:

Alex Headrick said...

Welcome back! The problem here is that faith defeats logic, or any other argument, simply because it's faith. Faith needs no evidence or reason or logic ... it wins just because. As insane as it seems to me, I don't know how to argue against belief in the unbelievable. I don't know what to do besides enroll any kids I might have in a school that subscribes in a reason-based curriculum.

Site Meter