Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Beers That Are Happening Now

It's that time of year, big black beers for the winter. Beers that warm the cockles of your heart and gullet. Here's some of the Church of What's Happening Now's favorites of late.

Ten Fidy made by Oskar Blues, Lyon Colorado.
This Russian Imperial Stout, in a CAN! is a whopping 10% abv, 98IBUs is one smooth operator. Quite the malt bomb, with malt notes of chocolate, coffee, and some dark fruit. This masks the high level of hops in it, giving it a clean, bitter finish. Your Freakin' Deacon dreams of this beer.


Let's go local.
Lake Louie's Milk Stout, Arena Wisonsn.
Tom Porter brews some of the Church's Favorite beers, may he be blessed by the noodly appendage. This beer is somewhat roasty, befitting a stout, with a creamy smooth lactose sweetness. A wonderful beer for the winter. If you haven't had it on tap you are missing out. A drink of choice for the Church at the High Noon Saloon, most recently during the Ghost Town Council's debut as headliner.


Let's stay local or as Dan Carey would have us do, Drink Indigenous.
New Glarus Coffee Stout, New Glarus Wisconsin.
Much is said about "Drinkability" lately, mostly by the idiots at Budweiser, but New Glarus knows what is all about. This coffee stout uses cold pressed Just Coffee, a local, fair trade coffee roaster, to make this stout. The best part is the abv-at 4.8%, this is a session stout that is somewhat an anomaly, usually reserved for Irish stouts (Guiness). This beer goes down smooth and easy, with notes of roasted coffee, chocolate and cream.


Drink Local.

3 comments:

The Freakin' Deacon said...

Awesome...I didn't know that OB was out of Lyon. I think our next trip to Colorado will see me sleeping on their doorstep for a couple of nights. Thanks for the write-up. Good stuff

Science said...

Huzzah!! Although my consumption of Lake Louie Milk Stout on Monday evening made Tuesday morning decidedly unpleasant, I am certain you will find me partaking of this fantabulous beer the next time I'm at the High Noon Saloon (or anywhere else Milk Stout is served).

Good Job, Ian. Keep the beer reviews coming. I will gladly volunteer my services in the pursuit of beers that are happening now.

Alex Headrick said...

I forgot to chime in here. These all sound delicious. The seasonal beers are one of my favorite things about winter.

I've never seen Ten Fidy before and I want it. All I can get in NY (at least at the store) is Old Chub. I do have to put in a good word for my new passion: Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout. It's the first stout I've really liked since Left Hand Milk Stout.

If you see it, give it a try. Smooth chocolate at 10.1% (bonus 0.1% there!) ABV.

Site Meter