Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sorry for the Incoherence

The music gods have been mocking me. And you know what? I laugh in their faces, because I can listen to WPR all the way to Baraboo and back!!

I've been trying to solve my 'what to listen to in the car' problem in various ways. After my MP3 player crapped out on me, I turned to CDs, those archaic shiny things of the past. Then I got a disc stuck in the player and had to deal with the radio. There's only one station that doesn't fade out on me between Madison and Baraboo. Or so I thought.

I caught the beginning of a program on WPR last night as I was commuting and thought, "Well, I'll listen to it for as long as I can." I was pleasantly surprised to find that the station was still coming in strong when I got to work.

I know this isn't a really fascinating story or anything - but it does bring me to my point. The program I caught last night was a repeat of Kathleen Dunn's morning show. She inteveriewed Kenneth Miller, professor of biology at Brown University and author of several books, including Finding Darwin's God and Only a Theory. I've been reading Finding Darwin's God and wanted to blog it out once I finished the book. Unfortunately I don't know when finishing the book is going to happen - technically, I should really be studying right now.

Anyway, he was on Kathleen Dunn's show talking about Only a Theory. He made some excellent points about scientific method and theories as well as the need for teaching appropriate science in the classroom of public schools. He's a fairly religious Catholic, which was obvious from what I've read of Finding Darwin's God. And yet: he believes that evolution is a fact (or at least a damn good theory). Somehow he has found a way to reconcile his religious views with his scientific views, without practicing shoddy science. Amazing. I would highly recommend that the Church peruse his books, or even listen to the program.

No comments:

Site Meter